"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Friday, May 22, 2009

Things 41 and 42: Mash up your Life and Music

Thing 41: Mash Up Your Life

Frankly, I was exhausted just reading about this. For me, a single site like Facebook, Twitter or especially Myspace can be overwhelming enough. I don't want to combine everything together and mix my social networks. Thanks, anyway.

Thing 42: Music

I started an account on Pandora, and it was pleasant. I made my own radio station, excitingly called Donell's Radio. It was very easy to do. I chose music I like, such as The Tannahill Weavers, Areosmith, Abba, Kate Bush, the soundtrack from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, etc. and it added similar music to the playlist. Then I could give the songs it picked a thumbs up or down. So, very nice. It didn't seem to mix the music types up very well, but maybe that comes after you listen more and review the music.

This is completely new to me. I still listen to music on CDs, rather than an MP3 player or Ipod. But, I'm planning to get an Ipod so I can listen to music while I work out at the YWCA. The problem for me with Internet music is that I'm not really that type of multitasker. I don't like to listen to music when I read or surf. I play it when I do housework, in the car, and when I specifically sit and listen to it (or stand and dance to it).

I made a music "quilt" on Last FM of 1940s tunes. I could not get it to show in this post, but if you page down to the bottom, you will see it. Billie Holiday, Tommy Dorsey, Louis Armstrong, and Squirrel Nut Zippers, for a start!

No comments: