"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thing 43: Online TV and Video

Still from the video "take On Me" from http://www.flickr.com/photos/teahaile/

I have to begin this Thing by saying that I am not a general TV viewer. I don't have cable, and there is only one show that I watch: Lost. I pretty much have a TV so that I can watch video and DVDs. That being said, though, I do watch complete TV series on DVD: Gilmore Girls, CSI, Six Feet Under, Heroes, etc. I just like to feel like I'm making a choice and not being assaulted by commercials.

I don't think that I will use Internet viewing much, if at all. I have a subscription to Netflix, and when I watch things it's usually in a semi-social way, like relaxing with my husband or friends. If I'm alone and on my usual schedule, I'd many times over rather read a book.

So, the one thing that I would like to see, if I can find them, would be music videos from the 1980s. Early MTV. Ah, nostalgia.

I signed up for an account on Joost , and I joined the group "Gilmore Girls." There's not too much activity there though, and only three members. I had only a little success looking for my 1980s videos, but I did get to watch A-Ha's "Take on Me," Cindy Lauper's "She Bop," 'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry," and the Eurythmic's "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This"). I was able to find more when I clicked the tag "80s." So, that was fun. But, I was hoping to find more and of greater variety.

I don't think that my view habits will change, and, because the experience is different, I don't think that Internet viewing will hurt broadcast TV.

No comments: