"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Thing 18: Education

Project Noah:

"Project Noah is an award-winning mobile application that helps nature lovers discover local wildlife and aspiring citizen scientists contribute to current research projects. Noah stands for networked organisms and habitats. Think of Project Noah as a tool people can use to document and learn about their natural surroundings and as a technology platform research groups can use to harness the power of citizen scientists everywhere."


This app looks like fun, and as it happens today my coworker Carol and I saw some red and black birds that we found out are Scarlet Tanagers. I google searched "red bird with black wings" and from there found info at The Cornell Lab of Ornithology: All About Birds.

So, with Project Noah, I was able to record what I saw under "My Spottings." Kind of. Here are some things that I found out while trying to do so. 1).You must have a photo of the wildlife you have seen, or the information that you enter will not save. 2). It must be your own photograph or it will be deleted. I didn't take a picture of the birds that I saw, so I tried entering the photo from the All About Birds site above. I wondered why it didn't site my source, and when I looked again about ten minutes later, the photo had already been deleted and a message about FAQs had been left. The brief bird information that I recorded is still there, but it says that I added it 19 hours ago, which is incorrect.



You can also join groups with missions of spotting particular types of nature. I joined Minnesota Wildlife (Plants) and Minnesota Wildlife (Animals). I also earned the Tadpole patch for entering my first sighting.
3D Brain:

"Use your touch screen to rotate and zoom around 29 interactive structures. Discover how each brain region functions, what happens when it is injured, and how it is involved in mental illness. Each detailed structure comes with information on functions, disorders, brain damage, case studies, and links to modern research."

I used this one to take a brief tour of the brain. Specifically, I was interested in what part of the brain is responsible for anxiety and depression. Apparently, the culprit is the Amygdala. Little jerk.




There are many interesting educational apps listed, so I will probably be doing a part 2 in the future, but for now I can't wait to move on to Thing 19: Hobbies!

No comments: