"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Thing 8: Social Meda Management Tools

My social media is Facebook and LinkedIn, but honestly I only really check Facebook. I used to do Twitter, but I didn't feel that I had anything really urgent to say and frankly it was more information than I needed about most people. Most days, I kind of view my social media use as an interesting bad habit and time waster. Since, I'm doing this thing, I thought that I should try something new, so I added the app for tvtag:


"tvtag (formerly GetGlue) is a social network where you can connect with others who like the same television shows and movies. Check in to shows you’re watching, connect with other users, and earn badges."

This actually doesn't seem like anything that I need and I don't know if it will be useful, since I don't watch TV in real time, only as it comes out on DVD. Still, it's usually fun to set up this kind of thing, since it involves doing some self-inventory. I loaded this last week. When I opened the app today, I got the message :"Fatal error. Reloading app." Not a good beginning. I'm kind of ready to scrap the whole thing, but I'll see what happens now.

I got notification that six people are following me, but I don't know if it's of their own free will or because they are my Facebook friends. Under my profile, it lists my four recent top shows as The Gilmore Girls, Sex and the City, Once Upon a Time and Desperate Housewives. Again, I think that it got that from my Facebook likes. I added some series that I'm still watching (when the next season comes out): Glee, Grimm, CSI, Call the Midwife, Downton Abbey, Major Crimes, NCIS, Orange is the New Black, Murdoch Mysteries, Sherlock, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Nurse Jackie. Geez, I still do manage to watch a lot of TV.

For the Social Meda Management Tools part of this thing, I added Cloze:
"Cloze is a social media organizer that allows you to keep track of the people that are important to you. This focus on the people is really at the heart of this app. As it states on the Cloze website, “With Cloze people come first, everything else is secondary.” Cloze brings together Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and your email into one interface."

I'm assuming Cloze means close. I never approve of cutesy spellings, but maybe I'm missing something. I suppose that it's difficult to judge this app in one day, but here goes. It's working with my Facebook, LinkedIn and Gmail contacts. From this, it rounded up my "Key People" from mail and social and showed me their messages/postings. From mail, it pulled my husband. From social, it pulled 21 messages from 5 of my Facebook friends. It also brought me a list of people that I am "losing touch" with and I was amused to see my husband, who I spent all last evening/night/this morning with. Or maybe I should be dismayed? This app may be too much of a good thing for me. I just don't think that I'm so busy and swamped with friends and contacts that I can't keep track by myself.

No comments: