"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Friday, March 28, 2014

Thing 11: Library and Reference

For this Thing, I decided to look at the ELM mobile website at:

elm4you.org

Here is the page as it appears on my IPhone:

 
 
 
ELM is neatly arranged and easy to navigate. There were no databases that my library doesn't have (because of ELM, I imagine), but it was handy to be able to access them without a library card. For kicks, I searched for "wild leopard cat" in Ebsco Academic Search Premier and came up with satisfactory results.
 
 However when I searched for the library that I work for in the "Find Your Library" feature, nothing came up, although I filled in the city, county and name keyword. This was tiresome. If I, as a librarian who is used to having to persevere in a search was discouraged, imagine how other people feel! When I searched again for the closest library to my house (in Hennepin county), by name in the keyword box, I did find the information for that library. So, I don't know what the glitch for my Dakota county library is.
 
Still, it is important to know that this is a mobile friendly resource for patrons, if needed.

No comments: