"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Thing 14: Videos


I had to skip Thing 13 for now, due to software issues. So, on to Thing 14, Videos starting with:

Vine

"Vine is the hottest video service right now that only allows you to take 6-second videos. 6 seconds doesn’t seem like long, but think of them as enhanced photos. Instead of a still shot of a library program, make a quick 6-second video you can share on the library website or via social media."


Making the video in Vine was super easy. I made one of our Staff Suggestions displays. We have five library staff who do themed displays and recommendations on an ongoing basis.

Posting the video to Blogger proved to be impossible for me. I'm not on Twitter, so I tried pasting it to Facebook to try to get the link. On my IPhone the video displays fine, but on my computer, clicking the video just takes you to the Vine homepage, and if you try to share, you get an error message. I see that you can post the video on Youtube and get the link that way, but this is just too much of a hassle. Frankly, I'm frustrated and I don't think I'll bother with it.

Or maybe I might in the future. Maybe the difficulty has to do with my outdated IPhone software. I can see uses for Vine in my library, if the county approved the posting. Also, I would be interested in using it in Power Point presentations.

No comments: