"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ballroom Bonanza by Nina Rycroft


My colleague Carol brought me Ballroom Bonanza: A Hidden Pictures ABC Book by Nina Rycroft and Stephen Harris to show me the glorious belly dancing cover elephants. She knows that I privately attempt Middle Eastern dance and the like. Reading the book, I found an entertaining, rhyming alphabet tale filled with more splashily dressed, celebrating animals. Diverse creatures such as vampire bats, rhinos, quails and the imaginary ugwumps dance like mad, showing off disco, ballet, line dancing,and samba styles. Many more boogie down or glide around. Once the alphabet exhibition is complete, readers are invited to reexamine the pictures to find the 26 hidden instruments that the sneaky monkeys stole from the band between mambas. Nina Rycroft created the super lively watercolor, gouache, and colored pencil illustrations. Kids will get a kick out seeing camels in Carmen Miranda style fruit headdresses, Austin Powers inspired goats, and more. This will be a fun read for one on one or a small group, allowing extra time to share the pictures!

See more of Rycroft's art Here at her homesite.

No comments: