"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Snuggles for stray pets

Daisy Mae from Feline Rescue

Kitty photo from the Snuggles website.


Last Thursday, eight library teens , my lovely and talented co-worker Suzie and I spent an hour learning to knit or crochet a Snuggle blanket for local homeless cats. Suzie is super at both needle crafts and got the teens into it. I can muddle by with crochet, and showed them the rose and pink Snuggle I had produced over about three Desperate Housewives episodes the night before. We intend to donate our handiwork to a no-kill cat shelter in Saint Paul called Feline Rescue. Another library friend, Amy, is a shelter volunteer and tells me about the lovely kitties who live there, such as Daisy Mae (above).

The patterns for Snuggle making can be simple and don't require much yarn (mine took 1 skein) and cats and dogs aren't critical of your stitches. In spite of my imperfect handiwork, my cat Thelma at home was crazy to try out the Snuggle as it emerged.

For more information, visit the Snuggles Project.

1 comment:

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

This is such a lovely idea and I've never heard of it before! I'll be taking a knitting class starting next week and if I become good at it, this is something I'd love to provide for all for poor homeless creatures. Although, I'd have to have my husband take them up to the shelter for fear of dropping them off and then coming home with yet another animal!