Everything Is a Poem: the Best of J. Patrick Lewis, Illus. by Maria Cristina Pritelli, 2014.
The guest author for this year's MELSA Camp Read-a-Lot is former United States Poet Laureate J. Patrick Lewis. So, one of our reading choices is any of his works and I picked Everything Is a Poem.
This includes more than 59 illustrated poems on a variety of topics written between 1982-2010. The mood ranges from serious to silly.
Poetry subjects include:
- animals ( for example, "Elephant Bill & Jackrabbit Jack")
- people ("The Greatest"),
- reading ("The Gentleman Bookworm")
- sports ("My Baseball Glove")
- riddles and epitaphs ("A Dairy Farmer")
- Mother Nature ("Her-i-Cane")
- Places ("Okefenokee Swamp Song")
- a mix ("Say, Hay Won't You Be Mine?")
Toad gots measles
Frog gots mumps
Both got such
They so ugly
It's a sin.
They be jumpin'
Out that skin.
Pay no mind
These creepy items
Close my eyes
I bite 'ems, bite 'ems.
J. Patrick Lewis