"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book." Cornelia Funke

"Everything puts me in mind of a story." Ben Franklin

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!


Next on my list of Camp Read-a-Lot titles is You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! by Jonah Winter. It is a picture book biography, about 32 pages and fully illustrated. I'm not a baseball fan, so everything in it is news to me! In the voice of one of his Dodger teammates, this book tells the story of Koufax's career from 1955-1966. You may know that Koufax was an extremely talented left handed pitcher, who currently lives in Florida.  At the time, he was one of few Jews in baseball, so he blazed a trail there as well with his impressive pitching record.

Baseball facts are given throughout the text, which is followed by a relevant glossary. Andre Carrilho's pictures are based in gray scale, with color touches he added with Adobe Photoshop. His style has a vintage feel, stylized like drawings of politicians seen in newspapers, yet conveying lots of movement with simple lines. My library copy has an especially cool cover, called lenticular, but which I knew as a plastic piece that has a moving image when you tilt it back and forth.This shows Mr. Koufax in his pitching glory and ought to catch young readers' eyes.

No comments: